I will need a Chromebook to complete my coursework in Fall 2020. What should I do?
For the fall 2020 semester, the Los Rios Community College District has identified students with the greatest financial need. If you are eligible:
- You will receive notification of your eligibility through Los Rios Gmail and eServices Messaging - It's important to continue to monitor these communication hubs because new students are being identified each day.
- You must follow the instructions in that email, including filling out the form that confirms your interest in the program. Upon completion, you will be contacted about next steps.
If You Have Not Received an Eligibility Email - Explore Options for Lower Cost Technology
We recommend exploring other options to acquire reasonably priced technology using your own funds:
- The City of Sacramento's Digital Equity Response Program allows you to apply for services that include internet access, computers, and digital training.
- The CollegeBuys website run by the Foundation for California Community Colleges offers low-priced options for Chromebooks (e.g. Lenovo Chromebook for $239.95), laptops (e.g Windows 10 tablet/pc for $189.95), and software (e.g. Microsoft office for $39.95)
- If you have your own Windows or Apple computer and only need Microsoft Office, you are able to download a free copy to your computer. This Office 365 Handout will walk you through the sign up and download process. Be aware that between semesters when you aren't in classes, you will lose access to this copy of Microsoft Office.
- ComputersForClassrooms is a nonprofit out of Chico that offers lower-cost options for qualifying low-income individuals
- TechExchange out of Oakland is a nonprofit that offers refurbished computers for purchase.
- PCsforPeople offer low-cost technology for low-income individuals who qualify
- BestBuy offers student discounts
- Microsoft offers student discounts
Limited Los Rios Foundation Resources
If you have not already received a Los Rios-issued device such as a Chromebook, and you are not able to afford to purchase one due to extenuating financial circumstances, you can apply to the Los Rios Student Emergency Fund. However, there is no guarantee that you will qualify to receive emergency assistance as the foundation has very limited funds. Learn more and to apply for the Los Rios Foundation Emergency Fund on the Foundation's website.
Other Basic Needs Resources
The Los Rios Community College District has identified several other Basic Needs Resources, including rent and mortgage assistance.