How do I check out and check in items?
Loan an Item
Go to Fulfillment >> (Checkout/Checkin) Manage Patron Services
Scan or manually type patron barcode or ID number (if manually typing, click on Go)
By default you see Loans tab
Scan/enter item barcode into Scan Item Barcode field (if manually typing barcode, click on OK). Item is loaned to patron's account.
Continue loaning addition items if needed
The loan(s) will appear at the bottom of the screen
- Click Done when finished loaning to that patron
Recommended Method for Returns at Circulation Units
- From the main menu, select Fulfillment > Return Items
- Scan barcode into the Returns field
- Watch for any notifications on where an item should be sent to and route as indicated
Why This Method is Recommended
This method is the easiest way to catch any returns that may have waiting hold requests.
- If an item needs to be sent somewhere, a pop-up message will indicate next steps.
- If an item has a hold request in the current library, a hold slip prints automatically.
Other Method for Returns
- Go to Fulfillment >> Resource Requests >> Scan in Items
- Scan in item to the Scan item barcode field
- Make sure that the Automatically print slip option is set to Yes
- Click OK
Why This Method is not Recommended
There are no pop-ups generated when using this method to alert processing staff to the next step (transit, re-shelve, etc).
If the option to Automatically print slip is not set to Yes, a hold slip will not be generated for any items with waiting holds.
If the Register in-house use option is left checked, an in-house use will be logged.
Best Practices for Returns
- When an item that has a hold request for a patron is scanned in via Return Items at the library that patron selected for pickup, an email notification will be sent to the patron telling them the item is on hold for them.
- If an item’s record needs work - for example, cataloging work by technical services - and it has a work order request on it, returning the item generates the message Item is requested by another patron
- In this situation, the word "patron" includes both individuals and library departments, such as technical services
- The Scan in items function is used primarily by departments when they have completed their work on an item, but may also be used to return materials