Q. How do I withdraw a physical item?
There are two ways to withdraw physical items in Alma, individually or in bulk.
- Open the Item record for the item being withdrawn.
- Click on the Notes tab.
- In the Statistics note 3 field, add the appropriate withdrawn code (note each college can decide locally which of the codes they use):
- wdn/d - Damaged
- wdn/l - Lost (Long overdue, item connected to a loan.)
- wdn/m - Missing (Not found on shelf.)
- wdn/s - Superseded (New edition has replaced the current title.)
- wdn/w - Weeded (Title no longer appropriate/relevant for the collection.)
- Save the Item record.
- Under the list of items, find the item being withdrawn. Click on the ellipses, click on Withdraw.
- If the item is the last one in a Holdings record, a pop-up will appear. Select "Delete bibliographic record (unless other holdings are present)." This just deletes the bib record from the IZ not the NZ, which is what we want.
- When the item is the last item at an institution, withdraw the item from OCLC as well.
- Log into OCLC Connexion.
- Find the OCLC number on the item's bib in Alma.
- Search in OCLC with the OCLC number.
- Find the item that shows your institution's holdings (i.e. ARC’s symbol is ASR) . Open the record up.
- Under the Action drop down select Delete Holdings.
This involves the BBG (Book-Be-Gone) Tool and needs to be set-up by your library's Cataloging Librarian.
Was this helpful? 0 0