What features does the SCC Library's Canvas page offer?
A Library page is included in all Canvas courses by default. Here are a few things to know about that page:
- It includes links to any items your course has on reserve. If the Library has items on reserve for your class, you should see a section labeled “Your Textbooks.” Clicking any item there will bring you to the full record where you can find the call number and information about its availability.
- If you have brought your class to the library for a course-integrated library instruction session, and a course guide was created, a link to that guide will appear on this page.
- In certain other cases, other content relevant to your course may appear. For instance, all ENGWR courses will show a link to the Library’s MLA Citation Guide. Nursing courses will show a link to the Ovid database. If you have an idea along these lines for relevant content to show for a particular department, send it to Jeff Karlsen.
- A search box leading to OneSearch allows students to begin start exploring Library resources, including book, ebooks, articles and more. In most cases, students who have logged in to Canvas will be automatically given access to library databases, with no need to log in again.
- An Ask a Librarian icon appears, connecting students to real-time help from SCC Librarians or, during off-hours, a consortial service staffed by professional Librarians from other institutions.
Note: some of the above features are automated and are based on the title of the course. So, if you have changed the title of your class in Canvas, these features might not appear or may be inaccurate. Find out how to fix this problem.
If you have any questions about Library resources via Canvas or have ideas about how to make the page better, please contact Jeff Karlsen.