Q. What do the blocks in Alma mean? How are they set?
User Blocks in Alma
In Alma, there are two types of blocks that may show up on a patron's record.
Delinquent blocks: are automatically added to patron's records based on a job that is run daily of all Overdue and Lost Loan Profiles. Delinquent blocks are applied to users who have overdue loans.
PS Hold blocks: are manually applied by a designated library staff member based on a report of users with Delinquent blocks. This block signifies that a library hold has been placed on a PeopleSoft record of a patron.
Viewing patrons with a PeopleSoft hold
Students who have a library block in PeopleSoft will have a block category of “PS HOLD: Patron has outstanding fines, fees, or loans. Hold on eServices.”
Clearing a PeopleSoft hold & Removing Alma Blocks
If a patron clears their obligations with the library by paying fines/fees, returning outstanding items, or filing an appeal etc.
- In PeopleSoft: Remove the library block.
- In Alma: Remove the PS HOLD & DELINQUENT blocks from the “Blocks” tab of their user record and Save the user record.
Open the patron record through “Manage Patron Services”.
Resolve any overdue items or fines and fees.
Once overdues or charges are cleared, click into the full patron record (from the fine/fee balance or ID number). Select the “Blocks” tab. Use the more actions list to remove the blocks. Save.
Log into PeopleSoft and remove the Library block from the student’s record.
Routine for Setting and Removing PeopleSoft Holds in Alma
Each day a report will be generated of patrons affiliated with a particular campus (ARC, CRC, FLC or SCC) who currently have the “DELINQUENT” block but do not have a PS HOLD block. A designated LT will
- Receive the report for their campus (Excel file sent via email sent at 6:00 am).
- Review the patron’s account to ensure the fines and/or items are still outstanding. If so,
- Add the PS HOLD block in Alma. (Note: Please do not select the "Add as External" box when adding the block.
- Remove the existing DELINQUENT block in Alma.
- Save the user record to apply the changes.
- Apply the library block in PeopleSoft.
When a staff member clears a fine/fee or outstanding item, then they must clear the PS HOLD and any DELINQUENT blocks at that time (see above).
Updated by EB 02-24-20